HISTORY


SHRI GOBINDPUR. Or SHRI HARGOBINDPUR (30"41'N, 75°29'E), A Small Town In Gurdaspur   district of the Punjab, located on the bank of the River Beas, was originally a ruined mound of a village called Ruhela, which formed part of the estates of Chandu Shah, diwan of the Mughal times.Earlier a new village had been established near the earlier village of Ruhela, on the bank of the Beas river by Guru Arjan Dev who named this new village Gobindpur, but after the arrest, torture and martydom of Guru Arjun Dev, the area fell under the control of Diwan Chandu Lal (an influential Hindu banker and chief minister of Emperor Jahangir). Jahangir took control of the whole area, which was neglected and soon fell into ruins (Veerana).Guru Hargobind came here from Kartarpur during the rainy season probably of 1629 and, pleased at the attractive view the site commanded, he rehabilitated it and named it Sri Gobindpur. But because of his own association with it, the place came to be known as Sri Hargobindpur, a name still commonly used. According to another version, the village was established on the ruins of Ruhela by Guru Arjan Dev in 1587 and named Sri Gobindpur, but it was appropriated by Bhagvan Das Gherar helped by Chandu's machination. Guru Hargobind recovered it after four decades. Bhagvan Das, a rich Khatri of Gherar clan, challenged Guru Hargobind and asked him to vacate the site. In the skirmish that occurred, Bhagvan Das was killed. Mis son, Ratan Chand, with the help of Chandu's son, Karam Chand, sought the assistance of the faujdar of Jalandhar, who sent with them an armed body of troops to expel the Guru. The attack launched by this force, however, aborted and both Ratan Chand and Karam Chand were killed. Shrines commemorate Guru Hargobind's stay at Ruhela.Shrines to Visit